Wednesday, November 7, 2007

SIMPLE PARENTAL REWARDS


Everyday as parents, it is our goal to teach our children right from wrong, to treat others the way they want to be treated. It's often that I think I must tell them how to do this or I must prompt them when to do this. Yesterday proved me wrong. I picked my three boys up from afterschool care, they were full of stories of their long day at school and what they did with their friends at recess. As they're all excitiedly reminescing of their daily events, my youngest of the twins, Walker, amazed me with what I call a "simple parental reward". He simply opened my car door for me, waited for me to get in and shut the door. It put a smile on my heart that will last a life time.



Walker didn't learn to do this by someone telling him to, he has watched Tony open my door for two and half years everyday we are together leaving in a car. And yesterday, my little six year old stepped up to the plate as the "Gentleman" when Tony wasn't there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww.... that is so sweet April. What a gentleman! Um, I have I mentioned that I have an almost 3 year old girl. As Miles would say, how many goats do you have to trade? :)

Jo Jo said...

Walker is a sweet boy! Jack, on the other hand, has gone from my loving, sweet boy to now he won't kiss me anywhere near school grounds in case his friends see. It broke my heart that he wouldn't kiss me goodbye. He's only 6. I thought this might happen around 8 or 10 but not in 1st grade. He needs to spend more time with Walker.