Tuesday, November 13, 2007

OUR NEXT FAMILY ADVENTURE

As I mentioned on Saturday, soccer for the boys ended this weekend. I am still very sad, because one of my favorite past times is sports, and what team is better to watch than your very own child's. So now that the lawnchairs are put away, we now need a new family excursion for the weekends. While the weather is nice I am thinking of doing a new adventure a friend at work opened my eyes to, LETTERBOXING. I'm sure many of your expressions are the same as mine, "what the heck is Letterboxing?" The funny thing is, people all across America have already set out on the adventure and I've never heard about it!





Letterboxing is an outdoor hobby that combines elements of orienteering, art and puzzle solving. Letterboxers hide small, weatherproof boxes in publicly-accessible places (like parks) and distribute clues to finding the box on one of several websites or by word of mouth. Individual letterboxes usually contain a logbook and a rubber stamp. Finders make an imprint of the letterbox's stamp on their personal logbook, and leave an impression of their personal stamp on the letterbox's logbook — as proof of having found the box. Many letterboxers keep careful track of their "find count". (O.K, so that was a very serious sounding definition, yet the best I could find!)


What a great idea....whether your'e in your own city, traveling to the country for a day trip or vacationing anywhere in North America, somewhere there is a letterbox to be found awaiting YOUR FAMILY to "leave their mark". Or, find a great spot and post great clues for your very own family letterbox.

http://www.letterboxing.org/america.htm .... here's your first clue to a Letterbox near you! I'm off to purchase our family stamp!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to do that! How cool April!!!